TriTrix Final Episode
Ok so I’m slacking, pretty typical of me. And I didn’t take pictures of the sanding and filling and painting. I’m failing you guys… for that I’m sorry. Essentially the MDF isn’t the perfect surface, I noticed that I would sand for the rest of my life before getting it smooth, and even then in the name of not killing myself with sanding dust I declared victory LOL.
So! Lowes to the rescue, I grabbed a big tube of a filler much like drywall Spackle. I spread it on pretty thick with a spackle spreader and then came back and sanded it. It wasn’t perfect but a huge improvement. Then I also got a gallon of satin finish black interior paint from Lowes too. This stuff worked pretty good. Couple flat wall textured rollers for satin finishes. Poured some out and off I went.
Few coats of paint later, couple weekends went by, and I wanted this done already. So, starting with the top pictures, the very first picture is essentially what I had before I started filling, sanding, and painting. I installed the speaker spikes before painting so I wouldn’t have to mess with it later plus it got them off the saw horse which made painting easier.
Now that they’re all painted and we’re gonna finish them, the binding posts needed installed first. These are screw on type, spring loaded on both sides. I’ve never seen this type but they’re cool. Made connecting to the cross over nice and easy since I could barely see inside down the back of the port.
Then I measured some wire for the cross over and how it would wire to the woofers and the tweeter. Soldered those to the crossover and pulled everything into the speaker cab from the back side and then pulled the wires up the front and let them hang out the speaker cut outs while we stuff the cabinet with polyfill.
The entire cabinet from the back side to the front and top to bottom gets filled with the polyfill damping material. Once the polyfill is all pulled and fluffed up and stuffed we’re ready to install the drivers and solder them to the wiring of the crossover network.
Once the drivers were soldered and screwed into place we’re done. Do it twice and both speakers are finished. These babies weigh a ton, at least it feels that way carrying them upstairs lol. I’m guessing around 45lbs each.
The last picture is one of the finished speakers in place in my main system breaking in. I’m thrilled to have them done. Even happier with the sound. The PSB’s sounded really good but the TriTrix seem fuller and have better mid and low end with pretty solid bass. I retuned the sub after 2 weeks of break in and I am tickled with the overall results.